Me and my Greek Gyro
Chicken Gyros with Cucumber Dill Tzatziki
Makes 4 pitas
- 2 cups plain yogurt (I'm using fat free)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup grated cucumber
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Greek style pitas
- sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and onions for stuffing the pitas
2. Squeeze the excess water out of the cucumber and place in a small mixing bowl. Stir in the remaining yogurt, garlic and lemon juice as well as the chopped dill. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill on an indoor grill, grill pan or bbq until cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board, cover with aluminum foil and let rest for five minutes.
4. While the chicken is resting, wrap the pitas in aluminum foil and place in the pre-heated oven to heat through, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Once the chicken is rested, using a sharp knife, slice into super thin slices.
6. Take a warmed pita, top with some of the tzatziki, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and some chicken. roll up and serve.