Elyse's Potato Latkes
Makes about 18 latkes
- 2 large, baking potatoes, washed (I keep the peel on, but you can peel them if you want)
- 1 small onion
- 1 eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
2. Peel the onion and remove the root, then grate the onion using the same size grate as the potatoes and place into the mixing bowl.
3. Add in the egg, flour and salt and pepper and mix until combined, I find using my hands is the best way.
4. Heat enough oil to come up about an inch high in a large saute pan until hot (place the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil, if bubbles appear along the handle, the oil is ready).
5. Using your hands, form the potato mixture into small, flat rounds and fry on both sides until crisp, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Repeat until all the potato mixture is finished, adding oil to the pan if necessary.
6. Drain the latkes of any excess oil on paper towels and serve.
* Tip: Frying can cause your house to STINK! Placing a couple bowls of white vinegar around your kitchen while cooking will help to absorb the odours. (Thanks Avishai)