That's right, you read that correctly, lasagna without the noodles!!! This dish is quick, simple and delicious and uses only five ingredients (other than seasoning). I used grilled zucchini and eggplant in place of lasagna noodles and layered them with marinara sauce and cheese for an easy side dish, or light entree.
1. Using a sharp knife or mandolin, thinly slice two zucchinis and one large eggplant lengthwise.
2. Toss the zucchini and eggplant with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and grill on an indoor grill or grill pan, just until light grill lines appear.
3. In a small bowl stir together a container of ricotta cheese with salt and pepper. (I added parsley and some lemon zest too)
4. Once the zucchini and eggplant are cool enough to handle, line the bottom of a greased baking dish with slices of zucchini.
5. Top the zucchini with some marinara sauce and a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese.
6. Top with slices of eggplant. Top the eggplant with some of the ricotta cheese mixture.
7. Repeat the process until the pan is full. Top the top layer with marinara sauce and a sprinkling of mozzarella.
8. Bake in a 400 degree F oven until warmed through and is cheese melted, about 20 minutes.
9. Cut into slices and serve.