Butternut Squash Ravioli with Maple Brown Butter, Caramelized Onions, Sage and Walnuts
Serves 4 as an entree with a salad
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped sage
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 1lb. package of store bought butternut squash ravioli
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
2. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat, once hot add the oil, onions and sage. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden and starting to caramelize.
3. Add in the butter and cook until the butter is melted and starts to become a golden brown colour, this will take a few minutes. Once the butter is browned, stir in the maple syrup and walnuts, let cook for another minute then take off the heat and season with salt and pepper.
4. Prepare the pasta according to package directions.
5. Re-heat the sauce over low heat, drain the pasta and toss with the sauce, garnish with some more chopped sage and Parmesan cheese and serve.
* For a change, substitute the ravioli for gnocchi, or even better sweet potato gnocchi