My quick and healthy version, uses chicken instead of pork, and poaches instead of smoking. Serve these sandwiches with some coleslaw and potato wedges for a quick and satisfying dinner.
BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 box (900 mL) chicken stock
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce, or use the recipe below
- 4 kaiser buns, or any bun of your choice
- Optional toppings: caramelized onions, horseradish, blue cheese crumbles, Swiss cheese, sauteed peppers, or anything else your heart desires
2. Add the chicken thighs, bring back up to a boil then cover and lower the heat to low. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken from the broth and set aside.
4. Pour the bbq sauce into a small saucepan over medium high heat and heat until warm.
5. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle pull apart by hand into shreds and place in the saucepan with the barbecue sauce.
6. Let the chicken re-heat in the sauce then place 1/4 of the chicken mixture onto each of the buns and top with any of the optional toppings.
To make my homemade barbecue sauce:
Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp. canola oil then add 1 small onion, chopped and 2 cloves of garlic, chopped and cook until the onion is translucent. Stir in 1 Tbsp. of tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add a small can (398 mL) diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 cup white vinegar. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Pour into a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Once cool, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes a little over 1 cup of sauce.