Mid-afternoon I took a small break from the outdoors to fix us a quick lunch. On my way inside I picked a large zucchini and some parsley from our garden. I got inside and decided to whip up a quick batch of zucchini fritters (kind of like a potato latke but with zucchini instead of potato)
They were the perfect light lunch to enjoy outdoors with a nice cold glass of white wine. It was a perfect afternoon!
Zucchini Fritters (adapted from a recipe in Martha Stewart Living)
Makes about 6 large fritters
- 1 medium sized zucchini
- 1/4 of a Spanish onion
- 2 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 large egg
- the zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for frying
- Using the large side of a box grater, grate the zucchini and onion onto a large, clean tea towel. Squeeze any excess moisture out from the zucchini and onion using the towel and then empty out into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the zucchini and onion with the parsley, cheese, flour, egg, lemon zest and salt and pepper.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Once heated pour in enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Spoon in mounds of the zucchini mixture, flattening with the back of the spoon.
- Cook until crisp on both sides, about 2-3 minutes a side and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Sprinkle with some sea salt and serve.