Recipe Courtesy of Martha Stewart
- 3 packets unflavoured gelatin (1/4 oz./7g each)
- 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (to mix it up, replace the vanilla with another flavour or extract)
- few drops of food colouring of choice ( I used Wilton gel food colouring)
- non-stick cooking spray
- icing sugar
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water. Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Boil rapidly for 1 minute. Remove from and heat.
4. With the mixer on high, slowly pour the boiling syrup into the gelatin mixture. Add salt and continue mixing for 12 minutes.
5. Add the vanilla beans and food colouring, mix well until combined.
6. Spray a rubber spatula with cooking spray. Spread the marshmallow mixture evenly into the prepared pan with the sprayed spatula. Spray a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray, and place, spray side down, on top of the marshmallows. Let stand for 2 hours.
7. Carefully remove the marshmallows from the pan. Remove the plastic wrap and discard. Cut marshmallows into 2-inch squares using a sharp knife, sprayed with cooking spray.
8. Place icing sugar into a large bowl. Add the marshmallows into the bowl and toss to coat (you may have to work in batches).
9. The marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.