Makes 10 Patties
- 2 slices white bread, torn into large pieces
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced or pureed with a grater
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped mint
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
2. In a small bowl, soak the bread in the milk until soggy. (This is called a panade.) Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the meat with the remaining ingredients and the panade. Using your hands, mix until thoroughly combined.
4. Form the meat mixture into patties, or traditional log shapes (these can be skewered as well).
5. Brush the keftas with olive oil and place in the oven. Cook until brown and cooked through, flipping halfway through cooking time about 7 minutes a side. In the summer, these are great for the BBQ!
Combine, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 cup mint leaves, a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper into a food processor and puree until smooth.