I based this recipe off of Thomas Keller's famous Ad Hoc Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipe and although obviously not as good as the real thing this kosher for passover recipe is top notch.
Although you have to start the prep for this dish the night before, brining the chicken before hand ensures juicy and flavourful chicken and makes a huge difference. Enjoy this chicken fresh from frying, reheated in the oven or even cold.
Passover Fried Chicken
Serves 6 (2 pieces of chicken each)
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 6 chicken legs
- 8 cups of water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns
- a few thyme sprigs
- a handful of fresh parsley
- juice and zest from 2 lemons
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 4 cups matzoh meal
- 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- a couple pinches of cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
- honey for drizzling
- In a large pot combine the water, salt, honey, bay leaves, garlic, peppercorns, thyme, parsley, and lemon zest and juice. Place on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for one minute until all the salt is dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Once the brine is cooled add the chicken pieces. Place in the fridge over night or up to 12 hours.
- When ready, remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry. Let come to room temperature.
- Place the eggs into a shallow dish. Combine the matzoh meal, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne and salt and pepper.
- Once the chicken is at room temperature you are ready to bread. Working with one piece at a time, place the chicken into the matzo meal mixture, followed by the egg mixture and then back into the matzoh meal. Place onto a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Fill a large, saucepan with vegetable or canola oil and place over high heat. Once the oil is heated (if using a thermometer the oil should be about 325 degrees F), start frying the chicken a few pieces at a time until brown and crispy and cooked through. Remove onto a paper towel lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Just before serving drizzle the chicken with a little bit of honey.