Hearty Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup
- 2 chicken or turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 tsp. plus 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 spanish onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small bunch of kale, roughly chopped
- 1 can white cannelinni beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
2. In the same pot add the remaining oil, onions and garlic. Saute until onion is soft, lower heat and continue to cook until onions are golden and caramelized. Stir in red chili flakes and paprika and cook for 30 seconds more.
3. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil, add kale and beans and simmer until kale is wilted.
4. Add in sausage with its juices and continue to simmer for five minutes.
5. Skim off any excess fat from the top of the soup, season with salt and pepper and serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan on top.