We now have some catching up to do.
Over the May long weekend we planted our garden for this year, this year it includes:
- four types of tomatoes (beefsteak, cherry, heirloom and san marzano)
- green onions
- herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano)
- berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and red currants)
The past few weeks have brought us many delicious raspberries which I have been enjoying by the bowl full daily,
This past weekend, I attended a pot luck picnic and decided to pick my first bunch of kale and a carrot from the garden to make up a delicious and easy kale slaw. This salad is perfect for a BBQ or potluck as the kale is hearty enough to remain crisp and not get soggy after a few hours.
This recipe is the first of many of this season's Tales from our Garden, so enjoy!
Kale and Carrot Slaw
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch of kale, shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, honey and a pinch each of salt and pepper until combined. Slowly pour in the olive oil while whisking until the mixture is thick and emulsified.
- Toss the dressing with the kale, carrots and sunflower seeds. Season with some more salt and pepper and allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.