Warm Roasted Garlic and Caramelized Shallot Dip
Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 medium shallots, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 package (250g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup mayonnaisse
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- a sprinkling of goat cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Using the two heads of garlic, follow my instructions for roasting garlic found here.
- While the garlic is roasting, prepare the shallots. Heat a small saute pan over medium-high heat. add 2 tsp. of the olive oil and the shallots. Cook stirring occasionally until starting to brown then lower the heat to low and continue to cook until the shallots are soft and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the shallots to s mixing bowl.
- Remove the garlic from the oven and let cool. Turn the temperature of the oven down to 400 degrees F.
- Once the garlic is cool enough to handle, remove the soft cloves and mash with a fork. Add the garlic puree to the shallots.
- Combine the shallot and garlic mixture with the cream cheese, mayonnaise and Dijon. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to an ovenproof baking dish.
- Top the dip with a sprinkling of bread crumbs and a drizzle of the remaining olive oil. Place in the oven and bake until bubbly and hot, about 20 minutes.
|Image Courtesy of www.thegraphicsfairy.com|