Since making this batch a week a go we now have a fresh batch of picked tomatoes, two HUGE bowl fulls to be exact. This weekend I am going to make a super large batch of this sauce and freeze it in individual portions that way we can enjoy our fresh garden tomato sauce all year long.
Fresh Tomato Sauce
Makes about 2 cups of sauce
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 10 medium sized plum tomatoes, peeled (see how here) and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh torn basil
- Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the oil, onions and garlic and saute until softened and lightly golden.
- Add in the tomatoes, lower the heat and let simmer for 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally until you have a nice thick tomato sauce
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and finish with a good sprinkling of fresh torn basil.