On a rainy, cool day like today, I love to just curl up in my pajamas and enjoy a nice big bowl of soup. I developed this recipe while I was working for The Compliments Culinary Centre, and it was used in an edition of the Sobey's Inspired magazine. This soup is quite hearty and can be an accompaniment to a meal or paired with some nice crusty bread to make it a complete meal.
photo courtesy of www.compliments.ca
Creamy Potato Leek Soup
Makes 6 large portions
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 leeks, the white parts, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into medium sized cubes
- 1 carton (900 ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup of cream (or milk if preferred)
1. Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil and saute the leeks, garlic and thyme until softened, about 3 minutes. Pour in the wine and let reduce by half.
2.Add the potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
3. Using a hand blender, puree the soup until smooth, add the cream and re-heat.
4. Season with salt and pepper and serve.